Molly in Africa

Sunday, February 01, 2009

LILONGWE!

Sorry I haven't written for a whole month- to put it briefly, I was overwhelmed, overworked and tired for most of January.  There were a lot of contributing factors but that's why I didn't write.  I just finished a phenomenal week and that's where I want to start this blog post:

My position at MIRACLE has been shifting a little lately and I am now working more with the attachment program.  Attachment here is basically an internship at the end of their two year schooling in a specific trade.  Students go out for six months and work within their field (carpentry, electrical installation, tailoring or hotel & catering) with different companies, businesses and contractors all over the country.  Most of our electrical students and some of our hotel and catering students are in Lilongwe, Malawi's capital city.  I had to go down to visit them to smooth out some miscommunications and just check in on the rest of the students.  

I left last Monday in the back of the MIRACLE pick-up truck with Matt, Sarah and Emily- Bro. John and Beams were in the cab.  It was a great ride down- Mum, you'd be happy because we DID sing a song- 100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall... all the way til the wall was empty. :) And had lots of other fun times on our 8 hour journey.  The Brothers were staying somewhere else, but the four volunteers all stayed at a little backpackers place.  It was nice to just get to relax and spend some quality time with my housemates.

On Tuesday, I spent the whole day with my third year students that are on attachment.  I know you're not supposed to have favorites, but I totally do and I got to see all of them which was AWESOME.  Most of them were doing really well and it was wonderful for me to get a whole day full of smiles and good times with them.  In spending the day so happily with them, I was aware that I really haven't felt that free all month and I am actively making some changes in my daily life here to make more time for students and just chatting.  As I've realized in thinking about it, not only does that give me energy and life, it also supports the students and helps to encourage them.  Win-win situation if you ask me. :)

I arrived back in Karonga on Wednesday night and have been taking it easy ever since.  I'll try to write another blog post in these next two weeks... I have some funny inauguration day stories that I'd love to share too!

I hope all of you are doing well.  Sorry that I'm not great at keeping in touch- please continue to write emails- I will do my best to respond soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home