Molly in Africa

Friday, September 01, 2006

I'm a learning machine!

Hey everyone!

I hope things are going well at home! I know I said I would only be updating once every two weeks, but this first week has been so crazy, I just wanted to let you all know that I AM settling in. I will probably be able to update once a week for the rest of the semester, so that's exciting! :)

where to even begin...

The Other SIT Students: SO fun! My roommate for the week is Laura and she's awesome. Each of the past two nights we've been able to talk about what we've experienced, what we're nervous about and what we're excited for, so that's been really good. Another good friend I've made is Gabe- he goes to Oberlin and is just an easy going guy and is one of those people that I just feel comfortable with from the start- like we already knew each other. I'll tell more about the others as time goes on, but that was just a sneak peak. :)

The Program: Yesterday I got answers to SOOOO many questions about the SIT program. We learned about our practicum period which happens for the last six weeks and so many little logistical questions about what's going on. For the practicum it looks like I may be able to work up in Arua with the Kids League (although I have not yet had contact with TKL directors) so that is exciting for me. Again, I will tell you lots more as time goes on.

The Food: the moment you've all been waiting for... it's actually pretty good! They have rice and beans with a lot of their meals. They have a starch-product (I honestly have no idea which ones or else I would tell you) called capote (sp?) and it's AWESOME. I can already tell that it will become a comfort food for me here and I will probably miss it when I go home.

That's all I have time for now and this computer isn't letting me check my gmail, so I'm sorry but I can't respond to any of those emails yet.

Love you all and miss you, but really I just wish you could all just come here and join me in this incredible learning experience!

PS- I had my first Luganda lesson today and it went so well! My favorite word thus far is nsanyuse (nn-san-yoo-say) which mean it's nice to meet you! ok, i'm off..

6 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger JanetPG said...

I am so glad things are falling into place! It is so great that you found people you like (I knew you wouldn't have a problem with that)and you like the food! So fortunate. Keep hanging in there, I am so proud of you, Mol!

love, Laurie

 
At 2:53 AM, September 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, so im still not sure how this thing works, and i don't know if im doing this correctly. Molly, please let me know if anyone else can read this, because if they can i am not gonna write drunk messeges to you anymore. So i know you must be missing the Garstki sense of humor, so think about this: I was bored and thinking of a get rich quick scheme and i thought of this..... i mixed my love of gluing things to other things and.... well, getting rich quick... and i decided that what better product is there than the large flag that I will glue to ur hamster/gerbile/guinea pig(sp?)They will then not be kept in a cage, but can be kept throughout the house and not be lost(like those cars that have the flags on them in large parking lots). I know this might be difficult to understand.... or just too awesome because it is such a great idea... but trust me, it will work! Hope ur doing good, look forward to more of my great ideas!

 
At 3:30 AM, September 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mollyface! Glad to here everything is going according to plan, or at the very least working out. From your comments I see you had the chance to try the stapple food of Ethiopia--injarar and perhaps sherro or dorowa--it takes time to grow on ya...but i did lose 15lbs atleast!
So Hawaii is great! I've already had the opportunity to swim in the ocean--nearly every day, see some gigantic sea turtles, go cliff jumping (about 40 feet into water), body surfing on some waves, ridden the public transportation system and not gotten sick--like in Ethiopia, meet some really cool people, and have some good times! The dumbest thing I have done thus far is buuy a pearly...but i got my money back because some other girl bought it from me! That's Hawaii in a nut shell...ooo last thing...I might even try out for the men's soccer team and play college soccer! Haha thats funnny....I will see how it works out and keep ya up-dated. Hope all is well, and please give a call if ya get the chance no mattter on time...i call dayton people at 4am all the time! Keep being Molly. Peace, Matt

 
At 8:32 AM, September 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Molly. We had dinner with your parents last night, and they were looking forward to a midnight (our time) phone conversation with you. Already, your adventures are worth hearing about. We've heard about food, and people--how's the weather? What does the city look like?
We are thinking of you as we plunge back into the familiar routines of school, and we are holding you on this journey.
Love you,
Marybeth

 
At 1:37 PM, September 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to read that our anonymous godson is being so creative! We'll look forward to hearing more get rich quick schemes here! Love, Mum

 
At 12:38 AM, September 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Molly,
Find out what you can from Gabe about Oberlin. Sarah is visiting Oberlin today, Thusday and tomorrow, Friday as part of their "Chicago Fly-In" program.

Cement is the sticky stuff that sets up rock hard once water is added via an adsorption reaction. It's exothermic so that explains why it gets so hot as it cures. If you add "aggregate" to the cement, now you have concrete. Aggregate is a fancy way of saying rocks. So concrete is rocks and cement mixed. I could tell that you were thirsting for this tidbit of knowledge. Aren't you happy that you know now?

Love,
Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home